The Domain Merge refers to the merging of the two Google Workspace domains, mymail.vcu.edu and vcu.edu, into one domain where both Students and Faculty/Staff Google Workspace accounts will be managed.
All students, faculty, and staff will be under the same @vcu.edu domain. This merge is complete.
January 3, 2022 - Former student mymail.vcu.edu accounts along with all data in the accounts will be deleted. We will no longer be able to grant access to the mymail account. Active students should only be using their vcu.edu account.
Alumni accounts will be created for all VCU graduates with @mymail.vcu.edu accounts who are no longer active students. The addresses for these accounts will be (eID)@alumni.vcu.edu. Data migration tools will be provided to migrate email and drive data from the @mymail.vcu.edu account to the @alumni.vcu.edu account for these individuals except accounts with clinical restrictions.
Visit https://collaborate.vcu.edu/how-to/use-an-alumni-account/ for more information.
When VCU became a Google school, hosting students in a domain separate from faculty and staff was the recommended configuration. As Google has expanded and additional collaboration tools have been added, it is now best practice to host everyone together to allow for efficient collaboration. Also, our students often hold staff or faculty positions while enrolled in classes which until now has required two separate accounts. Some of key benefits our user community will enjoy with the merged domains:
- Dual role students/employees use one Google Workspace account
- Document sharing
- Share with @vcu.edu account
- Change ownership of documents between faculty/staff, and students
- Mail and Calendar delegation and calendar invitations
- Delegate access to departmental generic accounts to students
- Secondary calendar delegation and management allowed between faculty, staff and students.
- Easier integration of Google tools with third party applications such as Canvas
- Google Chat and Chat rooms
- Search and find faculty, staff and student contacts to add to chat
- Add students to existing faculty/staff Chat rooms and vice versa