Faculty, staff, student, and generic department Google Workspace accounts may be delegated to other vcu.edu accounts. They may not be delegated to anyone outside the vcu.edu Google domain.
Faculty, staff and student calendars may be delegated/shared with internal users as well as outside accounts except areas configured with clinical restrictions. Please take care in sharing your calendar with outsiders.
For calendar invitations and calendar delegation from a faculty/staff account to a student, use the student's eID@vcu.edu address.
For calendar invitations and calendar delegation from a student account to a faculty/staff account, use the faculty/staff member's eID@vcu.edu address.
Primary calendars may be shared/delegated to external Google accounts as well except in accounts with clinical restrictions. Please take care in sharing outside of vcu.edu.
Secondary calendars may only be shared within the vcu.edu domain which allows sharing with students following the domain merge.
Google Docs created in Google Drive may be shared between faculty/staff accounts and student Google Workspace for Education accounts.
- Add individual email addresses or groups using “Share with specific people or groups.” For faculty, staff and students, use their @vcu.edu address.
- When sharing to someone outside of VCU, you will see a prompt: "You are sharing to firstname.lastname@example.org who is not in the Google Workspace organization that this item belongs to. Share anyway", and you may choose to share.
- If sharing to a large group and sharing to anyone with a link is not available or appropriate, please request the creation of a Google Group via a support ticket.
- Select “Change link to Virginia Commonwealth University” to share with all faculty/staff/students (including School of Medicine Google Drive accounts).
- Share to a visitor without a Google account https://support.google.com/drive/answer/9195194
Google Forms may be shared between faculty/staff and student Google Workspace accounts.
A VCU user must log into their VCU Google Workspace account first in their browser. This is critical to successful access to VCU shared data, especially Google Forms. Users may receive a Google Apps - Invalid Email error when they try to access a form that is restricted to VCU users if they've logged into a personal Gmail account first. They should open an incognito window, sign into their VCU account, then try again, or log out of their personal account and log into their VCU account in their existing browser window.
Form creator tips
A form has a default setting to restrict access to VCU and trusted domain users. This can create a login issue. If you wish to collect data using VCU authentication, this will work if users have first signed into their VCU Google Workspace account. To turn off the default if authentication is not needed, click on the gear and uncheck the option to “restrict to VCU users and trusted domains.”
Google Groups must be created by the Collaboration Services team to assure correct email routing. Review this page to submit your request. Once created, group managers may add new users to the group and adjust settings as needed. Google Groups are recommended when sharing Google Drive documents with a large group of students or emailing a large group. Students should be added to the groups using their eID@vcu.edu.
Please review the steps to add people to your group. We recommend the direct add options when adding users to mailing list groups.