- A generic accounts is used for a project, department or student worker*.
- A generic account has access to the same G Suite apps (e.g., Gmail, Calendar) as an individual account. (Google Drive access must be requested.)
- Access to the mail and calendar of the generic account can be granted to other employees.
Owners of generic accounts that contain any PHI (Protected Health Information) data are the stewards of that data and have formal responsibility for assuring appropriate use of the data.
*For more information on student worker accounts, see section "Does my student worker need a generic student worker account?"
- Pick a generic account name that has something to do with your department or project. (13 character limit)
- Submit a ticket with the following information:
- Generic account name
- eID or email of the account owner
- Purpose for account
- Department/Project name
- eID or email of Department/Project Head/Faculty Sponsor (Student organization/students must have a faculty sponsor who can confirm the request.
Under State and Federal laws, we are required to manage official University records and be able to respond to Freedom of Information Act requests, subpoenas and other legal discovery proceedings for email records of University employees. Under our current arrangement with Google, we cannot directly access student accounts for these purposes.
If you are unsure if your student worker needs a student worker account, ask yourself the following questions about your student worker's job duties?
- Does your student worker conduct university business via email or create and share documents via Google Drive?
Student workers should have a student worker account if they are conducting university business with a G Suite account like sending email and sharing documents.
- Does your student worker need access to departmental generic accounts or calendars?
Student workers must have a student worker account in order to have delegated access to accounts in the G Suite faculty/staff domain.
Submit a ticket with the following information:
Student worker suggested account name(s) (The naming format is 2-3 character department code plus “stwk#”, ie OTSSTWK2.)
eID or email of account owner(s)
Purpose for account(s)
eID or email of Student Worker Supervisor
Follow these step by step instruction to set it up.
- Reset the password
- Log directly into the account
- Add or remove delegated email access (May take up to 24 hours from account creation time before delegation can be enabled)
- Share the calendar with someone
- Access a delegated account
- Accept or reject an account email delegation invitation
- Locate the generic email account once it has been delegated
- Locate the generic account's calendar once it has been delegated
- Forward email to other accounts