Learn About Listserv
A mailing list or "listserv" is a way of sending an electronic message to a large number of people. Listservs often combine the characteristics of a newsletter and a discussion group. A listserv is a good solution when there are internal and external members and not all members are Google account holders.
- Visit https://lists.vcu.edu
- Click Login in upper right corner
- Enter your firstname.lastname@example.org address and eID password*
*vcuhealth.org or outside email accounts must register a password
- We are now creating Google Groups for all Listserv requests. https://collaborate.vcu.edu/apps/groups/
- A Google group can be used for:
- A mailing or distribution list
- An open forum
- Drive access permission list
- Create a support ticket for the Google Group:
- Select "New IT Support Ticket"
- In the search box, type "Google Group" and click the magnifying glass icon.
- Select "Request/Change/Remove"
- In the "Description" text box, enter a suggested name and purpose for your Google Group.
- If you have a list of members for this group, please attach a spreadsheet to the support request by selecting "Attach" then "Attach file", or you can share the Google Sheet or email the spreadsheet to email@example.com.
- In the "Special Instructions" box, click the link to complete the Google Form.
Subscribe to a Listserv
- Request an owner of a list to add you.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a single line in the body of the message saying “SUBSCRIBE Listname your name”, where listname is the name of the mailing list you want to join. Dr. Gee joining the TESTING-LIST-GROUP-L list would include single line of SUBSCRIBE TESTING-LIST-GROUP-L Dr. Gee. DO NOT include any signature line!
Unsubscribe from a Listserv
- Follow steps at the bottom of an email from the listserv to unsubscribe (if the list is configured to include them).
- Or send an email from the account wishing to unsubscribe to email@example.com with a line in the message body saying SIGNOFF listname, for example: SIGNOFF TESTING-LIST-GROUP-L and DO NOT include any signature line!